Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trending libraries

The Guardian reports that #savelibraries has caught the imagination of Twitter users around the world. On Sunday morning, after reading about another library closure, Mar Dixon posed a question on Twitter... Libraries are important because [fill in your answer and RT]. Thousands answered over the following 24 hours, including:
  • Libraries are important because, wherever you grow up, that's where the rest of the world is [jennycolgan]
  • Times says Govt. report wants children to be 'school ready'. Perhaps not closing libraries would be a good start? [exitthelemming]
  • "Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one." [genrelibrarian]
  • My friend at school found me in the library & asked me why I didn't study at home. I had no desk & no peace, she had no idea [onerubberband]
  • I was raised by three parents - my mum, my dad, and Bristol Central Library. Library closures shrink the world [beescope]
  • It's not (just) about books, it's about communities, information and ideas, freedom of speech, stories and imagination [librarydonna]
  • Still remember when, during weekly library trip, Gramma deemed me old enough to borrow from adult fiction section. So stoked.[jbbmegan]
  • "You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." Gandhi [quantumapple]

No comments:

Post a Comment